"Everywhere’s somewhere, and everywhere’s the same, really, and wherever you are is where it’s at. But it’s more so in New York." -- John Lennon
Unless you are in a media blackout, you've probably already heard that today marks the thirtieth anniversary of the murder of John Lennon. Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, moved to New York City in August 1971, first living on Bank Street in Greenwich Village before settling at the venerable Dakota on Central Park West. Lennon was returning from the recording studio on the night of December 8, 1980, when he was shot by Mark David Chapman, a fan who had earlier that day waited outside the Dakota for Lennon's autograph.
Media outlets around the world have been flooded with Lennon articles in the past few days; here's a sampling of some of the more interesting explorations into Lennon in New York City.
- Rolling Stone has extensive anniversary coverage, including the entire interview they conducted with Lennon just three days before his murder.
- The BBC reports on events in Liverpool, Lennon's hometown, including a gathering of 50 musicians for a commemorative photo.
- At the Washington Post, a roundup of some of the Lennon coverage on the web, including a nice acoustic version of "Watching the Wheels."
- At the Huffington Post, Keith Elliot Greenberg--author of December 8, 1980: The Day John Lennon Died--shares photos from Lennon's final days.
- CBS follows up on Mark David Chapman, Lennon's murderer.
- The New York Times has many articles, including: a slideshow of the aftermath of Lennon's death; a flashback to how many people found out about the shooting--during Howard Cosell's coverage of "Monday Night Football"; and a look back at Lennon's first American album, the politically charged Sometime in New York City.
- Curbed looks at how Lennon and Yoko Ono acquired their multiple apartments in the Dakota....
- ...while the New York Times's interview with residents of the Dakota reveals that the Lennons almost moved to the suburbs.
- New York Magazine tells the story of the iconic photo (above) of Lennon in his "New York City" t-shirt.
- And The Daily News interviews the doctor at Roosevelt Hospital who tried in vain to resuscitate Lennon on the night of his murder.
* * *
Read more about John Lennon in New York in
To get RSS feeds from this blog, point your reader to this link.
Or, to subscribe via email, follow this link.
Also, you can now follow us on Twitter.
Post a Comment